Help for PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  July 2003

PCCLIST July 2003

Re: Classification on Receipt at Cornell

David Banush <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 07:44:47 -0400

Mary Charles,

Thanks for your response.  I posted my previous note to this list as a
purely informational item, not necessarily to generate a back and forth
debate.  However, a number of the points you bring up have been raised by
others in private communications with me, so I'd like to respond to them.

I respectfully disagree that we should keep these records out of the
utilities.  In our view, our COR records are a valuable addition to both
WorldCat and the RLG Union Catalog.  Why?  Because those databases do not
exist for catalogers alone.  Both utilities are also used extensively by
acquisitions departments, reference librarians, bibliographers,
interlibrary loan staff, and the public.  One of their several functions is
to assist searchers in verifying whether a work exists and which
institutions hold it.  Our level 3 records help meet that aim.

I certainly understand your concern about cataloging credits.  Many
libraries, including Cornell, no longer work directly on the utilities, but
for those that do, our COR records may be problematic, particularly in an
OCLC-only environment.  One solution might be to seek an Enhance
authorization for Vanderbilt.  The credits you would accrue for an Enhance
replace would exceed those you receive for original cataloging.  If that
were the case, then neither vendor-supplied acquisitions-level records nor
our level 3 records would be as problematic for you.

Thinking back to the origins of the PCC, it may be helpful to remember the
concept of the dynamic record.  The BIBCO core record was established as a
baseline that met certain standards of quality and dependability, but which
omitted some fields to facilitate faster cataloging.  Though core records
were intended to be sufficient for access on their own, it was also
understood that they could be upgraded to full if another institution felt
the need to do that.  Similarly, our COR records occupy a place between an
acquisitions record and something that has been cataloged more fully.  They
are intended to be sufficient for short-term access, and can be upgraded by
another library if that library chooses to do so.  Indeed, we have evidence
from analyzing the RLIN records that overlay our COR records that some
libraries are doing just that, using the call numbers we've assigned while
adding subject headings and other access points.  Those instances seem to
be a clear example of cooperative cataloging in action.

Best,

David

At 09:57 AM 7/21/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>David,
>
>Thanks for the explanation. I have had complaints about these
>records from some of the catalogers here. They are no more useful
>for us than other vendor records available on OCLC. We wish you
>would not contribute them since they end up costing us.
>
>We understand how you are saving, but why don't you just do local
>records. By sharing these records with the utilities, you hurt our
>library by keeping us from getting an original credit. These and
>other vendor records may be great for acquisitions but they really
>slow down cataloging.
>

>Mary Charles Lasater
>

>Mary Charles Lasater
>Authorities Coordinator