MODS Archives

MODS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

MODS Home

MODS  January 2004

MODS January 2004

Re: <subject> element: <name> question

"Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:58:46 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Yes, the church should be done as <subject><name>. In the library world,
we make metadata records for names to give an authorized form (following a
set of rules). So in this case we would give the church an authorized form
of name, probably "Vang kirke" and it would be used as <subject><name>. In
library catalogs, you would see names of churches considered as corporate
bodies (although type is not required).  As for the role "depicted", that
is fine. We had a request a while back to define a term/code for that
exact relationship in our MARC list for relators (which we often use in
MODS for the <role> element. So if you look at the list at:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relaterm.html you will find that as a
role term with the following definition:

Depicted [dpc]
Use for the person or group depicted or portrayed in a work, particularly
in a work of art.

If Vang is also a place name, you could include another subject for
you are not using some authoritative form of name for these (if so you
would indicate the source with authority="").

We would expect these to be different subjects, so a <subject> wrapper
around each string:

<subject><name type="corporate"><namePart>Vang
kirke</namePart><role><roleTerm type="text">depicted</roleTerm></role>
</subject>
</subject>

(Note that this uses MODS 3.0; in MODS 2.1, it would be <role><text> as
you indicated below).

Rebecca