ARSCLIST February 2004

Re: blue disc question

david diehl <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:55:14 -0600

Dootsie Williams got his start in the record business with Blue Records
using black talent like Billy Mitchell and Hattie Noel. Building on that
success he started Duotone and was one of the first to tape live comedy
and issue it on LP. He claimed to have invented the party record, which
he clearly did not but he certainly updated the concept for microgroove.
His albums were hugely popular at rent parties and among people who were
far too poor to own a TV in the 1950's.

The Kinsey Institute at Bloomington has some 78 RPM party records and
may have some information for you.
-David Diehl
visit The Blue Pages: The Encyclopedic Guide To 78 RPM Party Records
at:
http://www.hensteeth.com

The best of them are arguably by black comedians like Redd Foxx,
Pigmeat Markham and later Rudy Ray Moore. I suggest
the Dootone label from California as a good starting place
for this kind of stuff.

aa
On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 09:17 PM, Jacob Smith wrote:

> Hi - my name is Jacob Smith, I'm new to the list. I'm getting my PhD
in
> media studies at Indiana University and I've been doing some writing
> and
> research on "blue discs" or "party records": under the counter
"erotic"
> phonograph records made between the 1930s and 50s. Information on
these
> records is very hard to find. I'm wondering if anyone on the list
might
> have any information or ideas about these? I'm looking for info
about
> who
> was making them, who was selling them, who was buying them and the
> context
> in which they were heard, etc. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!