ARSCLIST February 2004

Re: CD Player Question

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:35:24 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Ramm
I must have really missed a whole era of CD players. Maybe some of you have
ideas. My single CD Sony Player was purchased about 15 years ago and has
always worked great. It's smaller than my receiver and part of my Stereo
system which is in my listening room.

Only recently did it start acting strange on some CD and I found that it was
do to two things: It won't play all CD-Rs which I'm receiving and it was not
made to play CDs over 70 minutes or so and the later tracks skip or jump
around.

So I went to look for a new one. I went to Circuit City and Best Buy web
sites and looked under CD players. They don't make single players anymore
but rather the 5 CD carousel players which a a bit bigger than mine but
acceptable. There is a Sony and an RCA and a JVC That's it! And Best Buy is
out of TWO of them. The Sony has no remote! Yeesh!

I know you can play CDs and CD-Rs on a DVD/CD/CDR player and these are cheap
but I don't have a TV set in the room and like the idea of a display and
other info on the player. Many DVD players only have on screen info. Besides
I don't need many of the buttons on the DVD remote.

As I know Archives need CD players, though they will probably spend more
than the $100.00 or less that I want, does anyone have any recommendations?
Are we down to just 3 brands and models? I have my boom box one and my
Discman but I want one that hooks into my Receiver and looks okay.

Any ideas? (I need to look for a new audio cassette deck soon too. Boy, I'll
bet that will be fun as well.)
<<<<<
Note that your CD-R drive will play audio CD's, and it has a phone jack into
which a cord can be plugged
and hooked up to your sound system. This can at least be done as an interim
measure, though it lacks all
the fancy features of CD players.
Steven C. Barr