ARSCLIST February 2004

Re: Monitor speakers for 78 rpm audio restoration?

George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:52:24 +0100

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

RA Friedman asked

> Any recommendations for speakers to be used in a sound lab that restores
> primarily old, worn 78rpm discs? I'm not doing restorations to go on
> commercial CD reissues. I'd like to keep it under $500, but might be convinced
> to go higher.

----- I am afraid that $500 won't buy Quad electrostats or Magneplanar
loudspeakers, however those are the types where noise from 78s is most
inobtrusive. Use a pair for stereo, and you will hear your sound directly in
front of you, and the noise consists of small "sprinkles", not "crackles"
more or less to the sides. You can make it obtrusive again, of course, by
filtering or noise reduction and using mono before taking the signal to the
loudspeakers. An important pre-requisite is that your preamp is linear and
broad-band, has a good slew-rate in other words. Why not use an ELP Laser
Turntable (in good adjustment, obviously), and then sit back and enjoy what
you have.

There is not much else you can do, because unless you are rich, you will not
be able to afford records for some time to come.

Kind regards,

George