Bowker: Onsite Session Booksinprint & Ulrichsweb Tools
When: March 23, 2004, 9:30--11:30AM and 1:30--3:30 PM
Where: FLICC/FEDLINK Training Room, Room 216, ADAMS Building, Library of Congress, 2nd and Independence Ave, SE, Washington, DC.
Registration: Please call (202)707-4800 to register for either session.
Bowker is committed to ensuring that your agency and staff take full advantage of the capabilities found in our products in order for them to save time and effort, and to provide higher levels of service to their patrons.
The first section of the session covers the major highlights and benefits of Booksinprint.com and Ulrichsweb.com. The next section covers Ulrichs Serials Analysis System overview, benefits, and features. Following the demonstration, I will be offering courtesy trials, describe the benefits of a paid subscription such as onsite training, unlimited call support, etc.
Booksinprint.com Product Overview and Benefits:
· Authoritative Content * more than 4.8 million titles including in-print, out-of-print, e-books, audio books, videos, and on-demand titles.
· Timely Bibliographic Information * Booksinprint.com bibliographic content is updated daily with over 90,000 updates per week to ensure timely and accurate information for ordering.
· Rich Bibliographic Content * Booksinprint.com provides a wealth of bibliographic information that can help you enormously in collections development, reference and acquisitions. This added information includes:
- Over 10,000 Author Biographies
- Over 1,000,000 Annotations
- Over 440,000 Cover Images
- Over 400 Bestseller Lists and Awards are tracked and are browseable
- Over 130,000 Tables of Contents
- 800,000 full-text reviews from 14 sources including Library Journal and Choice (available with a subscription to Booksinprint.com with Reviews)
· Save Time, Effort, and Staff Resources - Booksinprint.com provides additional functionality that will save you time, effort and staff resources. Such added features include:
- Bowker's List facility * use the List feature to create, edit, email, share, print and order download for acquisitions and collection development.
- Download titles directly into your ILS from Booksinprint.com.
- Link to your OPAC through Bowker's Hooks-to-Holdings facility to determine whether you have the title in your collection.
- Quickly identify what you are looking for by utilizing Bowker's Advanced Search Delimiters.
- Check Availability and Stock Status through over 24 distributors/wholesalers, such as B&T, Blackwell, Alibris, Emery Pratt and many more.
- Order directly from within Booksinprint.com through Brodart, Emery Pratt, Alibris (for rare and hard to find titles), AddAll (for comparison shopping), and BookSurge (for Print-on-Demand).
· Patron Friendly Service* patrons and librarians alike can use the various featured rooms (Children's Room, Fiction Room and Forthcoming Book Room) to research and identify titles they are interested in.
· Intuitive Web Interface* makes locating titles simple and quick for librarians and patrons.
· Remote Access* enables librarians and patrons to search for books while away from the library.
· Comprehensive Publisher Information* detailed information on over 165,000 publishers enables you to easily contact them.
Ulrichsweb.com Product Overview and Benefits:
· Authoritative Content * full bibliographic information on over a quarter of a million serials titles from around the world to help you identify relevant serials for your collections.
· Make informed serials selections * by viewing tables of contents, article abstracts, reviews from Katz Magazines for Libraries and Library Journal, and ISI impact factor (for mutual subscribers).
· Locate publishers and prices easily* full publisher details and pricing are provided.
· Easy links to down to article level - for mutual subscribers to Serials Solutions, Science Direct, Ingenta and more.
· Share information with your colleagues and faculty * by creating lists of relevant titles to email or download.
· Intuitive Web Interface - makes locating titles, simple and quick for librarians and patrons alike.
· Determine whether you can obtain a journal from your library or another library * link from Ulrichsweb directly to your OPAC or to WorldCat.
Ulrich's Serials Analysis System Overview and Benefits:
The Ulrich's Serials Analysis System allows libraries to analyze their serials holdings against core academic titles found in the Ulrich's database as well as the entire universe of serials. This powerful tool will help libraries to identify gaps in their collections, assist them in the deselection and selection process, and enable them to make more informed purchasing decisions from a credible frame of reference. Ulrich's Serials Analysis system enables libraries to save considerable time, effort and resources in producing comprehensive reports that can be used for budgetary justification, accreditation, grant applications and administrative reviews.
Our past performance has proved to be effective with not only DOD and Civilian agencies, but also at municipal and state levels. The feedback from our customers on Ulrichs Serials Analysis System has been extremely positive; for example, in most cases, we can save weeks and months of multiple people hours for intuitions that use this system.
Ulrich's Serials Analysis System Overview and Benefits:
· Compare your serials holdings (print and electronic) to over 900 Ulrich's Subject Headings to help you:
o Make confident selection and deselection decisions.
o Identify gaps or redundancies in subject coverage
o Create reports to justify funding requirements
o Apply for grants
o Compare journal publisher offerings by subject area
o Create reports for the accreditation process
· Save considerable amounts of time, effort and resources in managing your print and electronic serials.
· Provide administrators, faculty and others with reports evaluating the quality of your collections.
· Maintain a credible frame of reference for planning.
· Evaluate your holdings against the Ulrich's Core (academic titles) or Universe (all active titles) and filter by:
o Ulrich's Subject Headings
o Peer reviewed
o ISI Impact Factor (mutual subscribers)
o Katz Magazines for Libraries
o Electronic availability
· Share reports with colleagues, departments, and board members * anyone evaluating the library serials holdings.
What does the service provide?
* Powerful analytical reports on your serials holdings for selection/de-selection decision-making
* Unlimited user, site-wide access to Ulrichsweb.com * the most comprehensive and authoritative serials database
* ISSN reconciliation report and maintenance module
Multiyear Guaranteed Pricing:
Bowker can offer a multiyear guaranteed pricing arrangement that would protect your agency's price and enable you to establish your budgets for several years to come.
Training and Support:
Bowker will provide training workshops at agreed dates during the subscription period. Bowker will provide unlimited telephone support to staff.
13639 Barren Springs Court
Centreville, VA 20121
James W. Oliver
FEDLINK Vendor Services Coordinator
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540-4935
[log in to unmask]