AGU@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

AGU Home

AGU  March 2004

AGU March 2004

The Latest News

Peggy Bulger <[log in to unmask]>

Archie Green Union Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:35:37 -0500

Dear AFC Board and Archie Green Union Members:

A mailing is going out to all current board members on Monday the 15th
with schedules and agendas for our March 25-26 meeting.  In the
meantime, I wanted to let you all know the latest news here at the
American Folklife Center.

Our wonderful Writer-Editor, Jim Hardin, is retiring at the end of
April after 30 years at the Library of Congress!!  Jim has served as the
Board recorder over the years and is a part of our board "family".  I
wanted you all to know this news, since this coming board meeting will
be Jim's last.  All of us at the AFC wish Jim a wonderful journey as he
engages in new projects and adventures during retirement!

Also, I am very pleased to announce that Diane Kreshand is joining the
Veterans History Project team (among other high-profile assignments) as
we prepare for the Memorial Day Weekend WWII Reunion and beyond.  Plans
are being made to mobilize and train an "army" of LC staffers to assist
in documentation efforts at the Memorial Day Event.  As you all know,
the VHP will be programming a pavilion on the Mall for the four day
reunion.  This is an unprecedented opportunity to gather oral histories
and remembrances from our WWII vets and we need to be aggressive in our
collection efforts during these four days, and beyond.

Diane will be joining interim VHP Director, Bev Lindsay, me, and the
senior VHP staff in the coming weeks to plan and implement this very
intense effort and to plan for VHP future activities.  All of us are
very proud of our work to date.  The good news is that the success of
the project and our increasing visibility has created the desire for an
expansion of our efforts.  With Diane's guidance and energy, I know that
the VHP will continue to be one of the most important documentation
efforts ever for the AFC, and will result in a collection that will be
essential to future scholars and historians.

Best always,

Peggy

Peggy A. Bulger, Director
American Folklife Center