AMFELLOWS Archives

AMFELLOWS@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

AMFELLOWS Home

AMFELLOWS  May 2004

AMFELLOWS May 2004

Veteran's Stories

"Carolyn Karis (by way of \"Elizabeth L. Brown\" <[log in to unmask]>)" <[log in to unmask]>

American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 May 2004 10:43:11 -0400

Thanks to Carolyn Karis for sharing the news about fellow Fellow, Deborah
Dent-Samake.  What a great learning experience this must be for the
students at the Urban School.

*********

Deborah Dent-Samake (one of the 1998 AMInstitute participants) and Howard
Levin are working with an Urban School history class called Telling Our
Stories. <http://www.tellingstories.org/> For the past two years, they have
interviewed Holocaust survivors.

This year they are interviewing Liberators/Interogators/veterans.
The people/veterans being interviewed are :

George Oiye (Japanese, author of Footprints in My Rear View Mirror")
John Kerner, M.D. (wrote Combat Medic: World War II)
Floyd Dade -- Dade, a San Francisco resident, was part of the all
African-American battalion that liberated the Gunskirchen concentration
camp in 1945.
Charles Newton-- an interrogator

The students are currently interviewing (usually 2 hour sessions). In early
April, the students conducted pre-interviews with the four to gather
background information. Then they did research to learn about the places
and people mentioned in the pre-interview sessions so they could formulate
good questions.

When the video-taped interviews are complete, the students will transcribe,
and develop the snippet videos for the Website. Both the transcripts and
video segments will undergo editing and checking before these interviews
will join the Holocaust survivors on the Website.

Thought you would be interested in this project. Unfortunately we are not
in DC or we would volunteer for the veteran  project there.

Carolyn Karis