Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  May 2004

ARSCLIST May 2004

Re: Audio archiving supplies & cleaning machines

"h. Duane Goldman" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 May 2004 10:52:15 -0500

Hi Dave,

I feel compelled to repeat earlier comments on the use of carbonate salts
to clean phonograph recording. We chose not to use such chemicals because
they are known to be problematic when it comes to thorough
removal. Furthermore they are not thorough in this cleaning application
with or without the inclusion of Photoflo. Equally important is the fact
that carbonate salts generate hydroxide ions in aqueous solution & both
these chemicals are not only hard to remove without multiple rinses but
traces left behind are hygroscopic as well as chemically reactive with
lacquer & acetate media. Please note that although PhotoFlo is typically
used in small quantities it contains 30-40% of a water soluble glcol which
is a polyalcohol with a much higher boiling point than water & not a
chemical I would recommend using around lacquer or acetate
media. Re-cleaning discs cleaned with carbonate salts employing our own
cleaning system has consistently afforded an audibly superior product.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

At 03:37 AM 5/6/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Rolando Delgado Miranda --
>
>Dear Sir --
>
>I'm contacting you both on and off the ARCLIST to tell you I have had
>personal experience with the Loricraft cleaning machine, which works quite
>satisfactorily.
>
>On the other hand, if your institution can afford the Kieth Monks cleaning
>system, by all means acquire one. It is the Gold standard.
>
>Mr. Graham Newton on the list is a both a passionate advocate of the Monks,
>and a dealer. But at less than $2,000, the Loricraft machine desrves
>consideration. It is distributed by Smart Devices company. They supply
>detailed
>information at their website:
><A HREF="http://www.smartdev.com/smartht.html">SMART Audiophile and Home
>Theatre Products</A>
>http://www.smartdev.com/smartht.html
>
>In my dealings with them, they were cordial, informative, and shipped
>promptly upon receipt of my payment.
>
>Naturally, though they supply some cleaning fluids appropriate for use with
>vinyl LP and 78s, acetate recordings will require other appropriate chemicals.
>Please feel free to contact me or others on the list for information about
>appropriate cleaning fluids.
>
>I have been doing cleaning and transfers of a large collection of acetate
>Electrical Transcriptions for a non-profit institution. Their research
>led them
>to conclude that using ammonium carbonate (about one tablespoon added to one
>gallon of distilled water) dissolves some of the byproduct of aging that
>collects on the surface of aged acetate discs without harming the disc
>material.
>Additionally, to get further cleaning, Photographic "Photo Flo 200 solution"
>distributed widely by Kodak through photographic retailers offers a mild
>surfactant.
>
>Because in the Loricraft machine the applied chemicals are sprayed directly
>onto the disc surface prior to vacuuming, its easy to switch between any
>number
>of cleaning fluids appropriate to a given disc surface.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Dave Radlauer
>www.JAZZHOT.Bigstep.com

      ------
h. duane goldman, ph.d. | P.O. Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141
lagniappe chem. ltd. | (314) 205 1388 voice/fax
"for the sound you thought you bought" | http://discdoc.com