ARSCLIST  June 2004

ARSCLIST June 2004

Re: Magnetic recordings tape vs. moisture

Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:27:49 -0700

I have had specific experience with this in preserving a number of tapes from
the 70's of the same brand, year and storage history, but different containers.
Some were stored in original cardboard containers while others were stored in
"archival" storage containers. In a couple of different cases I came upon
batches where the tapes stored in cardboard containers did exhibit sticky shed,
and the tapes stored in tape care boxes did not. This was an eye opener for me
and I did some research into it with the client. Documentation showed that at
some point in the storage history of these tapes some were rehoused and some
were not. It wasn't clear what the policy or motivating factors were for
rehousing only parts of the collection, but the data provided as a result was
conclusive.

Of course there are truly so many variables in the chemical and physical makeup
of tape as well as degradation mechanisms. I don't believe you can make a
general statement that a certain set of parameters will always yield a certain
set of results. However, my experience coupled with this data was certainly
meaningful enough to conclude that an enclosed "archival" storage container can
greatly decrease the rate and extent of hydrolysis relative to a tape stored in
a cardboard box.

Chris Lacinak
Director of Operations
VidiPax