ARSCLIST  June 2004

ARSCLIST June 2004

Re: Magnetic recordings tape vs. moisture

James Lindner <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:52:53 -0400

That is very interesting. Those containers would not have been sealed so
they would have let in air - and the RH as well would be pretty constant if
the environment stayed the same. Depending on the cardboard - I can think of
a couple of things that could affect things, one would be the acidity of the
cardboard - perhaps there is a catalytic reaction with the binder. Another
is that cardboard would seem to be more permeable then plastic. I am not
sure precisely what to think about that. There has been some work in Vietnam
where they determined that by essentially "airing" the tape in controlled
conditions there was a reduction of the acetic acid in film.

It would be really nice for someone to do a controlled test and get some
real data. I know that IPI is doing some work in this area and also there is
some work going on in Prestospace in Europe. I personally am hopeful that in
the next few years we will really know what is going on - for sure.

Thanks Chris - that was very helpful.
jim

*
        Jim Lindner