Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  September 2004

EDUCAT September 2004

Re: Web Clearinghouse for Metadata Materials

"Sylvia D. Hall-Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:02:08 -0600

Dear Educat Colleagues,

The work that Anita has prepared to share with us is a great beginning.
She is making a significant contribution to this important project and
is to be commended for the effort.

Just a couple of questions...
For those of us who do not customarily create and use our own websites,
should wconsider doing so?
In the background notes in the "cataloging and metadata topics" section
in these topics...
   5. Can we break these two topics into subsections? And then have an
opening section on how these tools are used together?
   6. Can brief descriptions and/or links to specific ILS products be
included? Since bibliographic data do not behave in exactly the same
way in each ILS, some explanatory information may prove to be very
useful.
   7. Is this term broadly defined? Are other older print verification
and tools in American bibliography going to be included?
   14. Is it possible to add a brief section for retrospective
conversion?

May we add to the "type/form" section? If so, how does this process
work?

Just a few thoughts on Sunday afternoon.

Cordially,
Sylvia

Sylvia Hall-Ellis, Ph.D.
Library and Information Science
University of Denver
21E. Wesley Ave., #107
Denver, CO 80208
303-871-7881 - voice
303-756-0424 - fax

[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Educatters,
>
>As some of you may know, there is a promising activity currently
underway
>to develop a web clearinghouse which will be a useful resource for
>cataloging and metadata educators.
>
>As a bit of background: The ALCTS/ALISE Task Force for Preparing
Cataloging
>and Metadata Educators and Trainers was created in response to a report
on
>Cataloging and Metadata Education prepared for the LC Action Plan on
>Bibliographic Control for the New Millennium, available at
>(http://www.loc.gov/catdir/bibcontrol/CatalogingandMetadataEducation.pdf
).

>One charge for our task force group was to develop a web clearinghouse
for
>metadata materials and also to develop a Metadata Basics Package, as
>described in the Action Plan report.  Prof. Marcia Zeng, on the LIS
faculty
>at Kent State is working on the Metadata Basics Package, and Anita
Coleman,