PCCLIST October 2004

Re: Anime

Adam Schiff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:16:38 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, John Lavalie wrote:

> Can some explain the philosophy behind the subject heading 'Anime'
> (sh2003003075).  I can't find any documentation on "untraced reference."

What this authority record is telling you is that Anime is NOT a valid
subject heading.  You may not/should not assign Anime as a 650 subject
heading in bibliographic records.  Instead, you have to use headings for
specific types of animated media subdivided by Japan, e.g. Animated
films--Japan.

The 260 field translates as USE in the printed LCSH.  This is a reference
record because the term Anime refers you to a group or class of other
headings that you have to use instead.  Other animated media that might be
used include Animated television programs--Japan and Animated
videos--Japan.

Reference records are explained in the Subject Cataloging Manual: Subject
Headings in instruction sheet H 374.  There is also information about this
in the SACO Participants' Manual that might be helpful.

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *
* Box 352900                         *