ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: LP groove repair

Rod Stephens <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:00:54 -0800

In dealing with scratches and digs, I've used a brush with fine hairs
lightly applied to the side of the tone arm cartridge to guide the
stylus over a bad patch.  Or, I've found that I can incrementally tip
the turntable (to find the right amount of adjustment) on a angle (most
are so well balanced that you can do this) by putting CD cases or other
similar thin objects to raise either the two left or two right feet high
enough to affect the tracking either toward the center of the disk or
toward the outer edge.  This seems to help the tonearm track across
gouges and digs.  I then use my DAW to edit the best of the passes into
my final .wav file.  It works for me.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions