ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: LP groove repair

Eric Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:18:00 -0800

Thank you everyone for all of your excellent advice.

To answer some questions:

1.  The LP was re-released to CD, but I prefer the sound quality of the
    original LP (aside from the massive gouge in one track).  So I'm
    digitizing it to 24/176.4 and will burn to DVD-A.  In desparation,
    I could copy a few seconds off the CD and digitally splice it into
    the damaged segment - probably the easiest solution.

    There is a part of me that is enjoying the challenge - what if there
    wasn't a second copy to rely on?

2.  The gouge is really bad and deep.  I've not seen anything quite so
    bad before.  The usual tricks of adjusting VTF and anti-skate were
    unsuccessful.

3.  I tried the "comb" with finger nail, and also combing with a fine
    exacto knife.  Same result - it either skips back (repeats) or skips
    over a groove.  Frustrating...

4.  I like the "tilt the turntable" idea, except that the entire
    turntable weighs about 230 pounds.  I might be able to reballast
    the vibration isolation support table to throw it off level just
    so...

5.  I'm going to give the "fine haired brush" idea a try as well.

6.  I can't think of an obvious filler.  The stylus is very small (a
    Lyra Helikon SL) and I'd hate to "gunk up" the stylus and then
    clean it.  If there was a filler that was hard enough not to leave
    large deposits on the stylus, that would be ideal.

7.  The ELP laser turntable crossed my mind.  I should have access to
    one in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all of your excellent suggstions!  And if anyone
knows of the perfect vinyl filler, do let me know.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive