ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:14:24 -0500

Hi, Peter,

It seems to me the expressions need to reflect (wrong word?) the degree of
assumed average longevity.

Longevity is playback using the error correction system of the day, which
means the chip has to be identified.  There need to be a list of CD players
grouped by error correction systems, contunually updated.

New and better(?) error correction systems should be identified as they
appear and players using them should be reviewed.  A standard test disc
should be created with a variety of errors and run through successive
playback machines, toward the idea that, with these problems, it won't
playback on this one but will on that one.

Of course, test figures with no error correction system in place heads the
list.

Average longevity assumes proper storage and might be expressed in dd's,
death dates, as in 40 years plus or minus 5 years.  Some PR guy can come up
with a more genteel way of expressing this.

Assumed average longevity.  Assumed implies that this number is an
extrapolation rather than a figure arrived at by waiting 40 years.  It
supplies cover in the event of CD sticky shed.

Any test results must take into account the various methods of labeling as
well as the disc surface type, each combination treated separately.
Otherwise, results will be unrelated to real-world uses.

Steve Smolian