ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Dating 78 record sleeves

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:27:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
> Is there any reference publication of printed 78-rpm record sleeves with
the
> dates of when various sleeves were used? The ones that were originally
sold
> with the record.
> As part of the digitizing of the Arhoolie Foundation's Strachwitz
Collection
> of Mexican and Mexican American Recordings we are scanning the original
> Spanish Language 78 sleeves. Many of the major labels and many Indies
> printed their sleeves in Spanish. Columbia, for instance, had several
> versions in Spanish and we'd like to know the dates these where used.  Is
> there a "The Big 78-rpm Record Sleeve Pictography" book?
> Has anyone ever dated 78 record sleeves? (ha!, ha!)  Can anyone help?
To my knowledge, no one has ever done a "sleeve dating guide"...I certainly
didn't explore that area in my Dating Guide! However, because I have a large
number of records. and many of them are in sleeves, I can give you a rough
idea of pre-WWII dates (and later dates for major labels). I'd need to see
them, though!

Where sleeves list popular records of the day on labels, you can get a
general idea by dating these issues. However, this practice seemed to
stop in the 1930\s or so. In fact, many "indie" labels of the prolific
post-WWII period used blank generic sleeves...and much of the ethnic
material of that era appeared on such labels.

Steven C. Barr