ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:29:50 -0500

At 07:53 AM 2004/11/08 -0500, you wrote:
>I was referring to the uncorrectible error correction system in CD players.
>Sorry if this was unclear from the context of my message.
>
>Steven Smolian

I'm not sure that we have the specific language in the CD standards, but in
the video world there is a distinction between
   error correction and
   error concealment

The former is a deterministic process that totally recovers the data as
written in spite of the loss of some of the bits on the medium.

The latter is merely an attempt to hide an uncorrectable error.

The data world doesn't allow concealment so it has an extra level of
correction.

Cheers,

Richard