ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Consumer open reel EQ curve?

Jeffrey Kane <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:44:24 -0600

I'm getting a Studer A807 fitted out for archival use and plan to use an
external head preamp. I've been asked what EQ curve I'd like to use (NAB,
CCIR or AME) but am not sure what curve, if any, was used for consumer open
reel decks and/or commercially duplicated reels? Most of what I'll be
working with is 2 and 4 track reels at 7 1/2 IPS, with about a 50/50 mix of
consumer recorded and pre-recorded reels. In cases where I have recording
deck info it's generally machines such as older Teac A series, Sony and Akai
units of '60s vintage. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Kane