ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Consumer open reel EQ curve?

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:13:29 -0500

Hi, Jeff,

What's wrong with the internal preamp on the A807? (I have my own pet
peeves, but I'm wondering why you're going the external route).

AME was never a consumer format, so I would dismiss that. I am one of a
handful of people equipped for AME reproduction on current equipment, and
I've supplied some of the AME filters to other transfer houses. You'll find
it on 2- and 3-channel masters from the 1960s at 15 in/s. See the info at
http://www.flash.net/~mrltapes

CCIR is widely used in Europe, but I doubt (m)any of your tapes will be
that format. A stock A807 can be set up to switch between CCIR and NAB.

Please note that at 3.75 in/s, there is no difference between U.S. (NAB)
and European practice. Again, see the MRL Web site. The table on page 3 of
the "Choosing and Using..." document indicates that the IEC EQ was used
only in professional circles in Europe. Consumer machines and pre-recorded
tapes worldwide apparently followed the NAB standards.

Cheers,

Richard