ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Consumer open reel EQ curve?

Jos Van Dyck <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:53:00 +0100

Yes, there IS a difference.

European eq. depends on age, brand and market segment (home vs.
studio).
Most older recorders till early 60's used 140 Ás at 3.75 ips (9,5
cm/s) (old German DIN standard).
In fact, eq. stayed the same rel. to recorded wavelength: 35 Ás at 15
ips, 70 Ás at 7.5 ips, 140 Ás at 3.75 ips.

However, not all brands adopted the same standard: e.g. Grundig used
70 Ás (CCIR) for 19 cm/s, whereas Telefunken used 50 Ás (NAB) on their
consumer (tube) recorders.

On more recent consumer recorders (late 60's), this was changed to 90
Ás for 3.75 ips and 50 Ás for 7.5 ips (new DIN standard for home use).

Studio (broadcast) recorders use CCIR (now ITU-R) standards, adopted
eventually by IEC.

Your ears are probably the best judgement on the right eq. to use when
playing back old tapes.

Proper azimuth adjustment is even more important than eq.
Have you got a headblock with external azimuth adjustment screw?

Cheers,

Jos Van Dyck
New Generation Media
Digital archiving & Restoration