ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Looking for form/genre term

digest Peter Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:42:02 -0500

I'm hoping that those of you cataloging archival collections (as opposed to
processing and creating finding aids) may be able to help me out.

I just posted this over on MLA-L and then realized that maybe it is at
least as logically targeted at sound archivists as to music librarians.
Sorry for any duplication.

- Peter Hirsch

We have an important collection of papers generated by a record producer.
There is some correspondence and other papers, but the huge bulk of the
collection are files devoted to recording sessions and each of these
contains a log that lists takes, personnel, etc. We try to affix
appropriate 655 Form/Genre headings to our records and our two primary
thesauri for these headings are LCSH and the Art and Architecture Thesaurus
(AAT) form the Getty Foundation. Neither of these have yielded a term that
seems to fit. AAT has "logbooks" but the usage note seems to indicate that
these are more likely to be found in a nautical setting than in a recording
studio.

Since these are the primary reason that we imagine most researchers will
benefit from consulting these papers, it would be nice to have a term for
them more focused than something like "business records".

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Hirsch
NYPL