ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Tape to use with reels when archiving

Jeffrey Kane <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:45:21 -0600

I haven't ever done it but given what I've seen cellophane tape do to
multiple surfaces (MAJOR residue left behind) after a short time I'd say
that's a BIG no. The tape is too thick and the adhesive too strong for
magnetic tapestock. That adhesive can take the oxide off (quite a few reels
that I've received have had the tape end held down to the reel with
cellotape and upon removal the oxide comes RIGHT off with the cellotape no
matter how careful I am).

Also, unless you're working with 1/2" reels it'll be harder to work with as
all the cello-tape I've ever seen comes in 1/2" and larger. If you were
planning to wrap it around the tape to make your splice I'd strongly advise
against it as it cause a very uneven pack as the tape is wound onto the reel
that can kink the tape during storage.

You're much better off using true splicing tape. I've had good luck with
Editall's XEDIT premade splicing tabs. It looks like they're being
discontinued sadly.

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/ededtabpakof.html