ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Tape to use with reels when archiving

Jos Van Dyck <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:58:34 +0100

You should use special splicing tape, e.g. EMTEC (BASF) PW 384.
Overtime, regular adhesive tape get smudgy (glue coming off...)

The colour of the leader tape indicates the tape speed (DIN/IEC
standards):

blue = 7.5 ips mono
blue/white = 7.5 ips stereo
red = 15 ips mono
red/white = 15 ips stereo
red/white/black = 15 ips stereo with noise reduction
yellow = end of tape

Studio (broadcast) tape machines have optical detector for speed and
noise reduction...

Jos