ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Fw: RIAA Raid puts Rockville, MD used-record haven in jeopardy: Wash CP

Peter Kiefer <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:36:06 -0500

At one time there were three Fred Waring albums on Ebay, obviously CD
copies of LPs. One of the Waring family members wrote to RIAA, Decca/MCA
and two publishers who had songs on the albums.  A week passed and the
Waring son felt, "nobody gives a s..." Then he received a call from RIAA
and by the next weekend the illegal cd's were gone from the ebay list.

But you are right,  that was sort of an isolated incident called on by an
heir, the rest of them seem to go unnoticed by  "the authorities."
Peter Kiefer

At 12:13 PM 11/17/2004, you wrote:
>I am reminded of an incident which took place about ten years ago at one
>of the Austin Texas Record Conventions. A group of what looked like "frat"
>guys, dressed in relatively new jeans and t-shirts featuring rock
>performers...they stood out like sore thumbs...surveyed the various dealer
>tables and, like clock work, flashed their badges, (all Federal Officers)
>and closed down about twenty or so tables and hauled off the dealers and
>their goods. As far as I could tell, all of those hauled off were selling
>pirate stuff, from videos to pirate LPs and CDs, but as I recall, none of
>the material was a duplication of a commercially available item.
>
>Along the same lines, it amazes me that there are many online dealers who
>sell their own transfers of LPs not available on CD, yet I don't see any
>attempt to stop them from selling...probably because many of them are
>working with classical music!
>
>Karl

The Waring Webpage address is:
                     www.libraries.psu.edu/waring/

Peter T. Kiefer, Coordinator
Fred Waring's America Collection
The Pennsylvania State University
313 Pattee Library
University Park, PA 16802-1800
Voice: (814) 863-2911
Email: [log in to unmask]
"The World is a stage, don't trip over a prop."