ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: .mp3 and streaming

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:23:21 EST

In a message dated 11/19/2004 9:07:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
However, if file size isn't quite the concern it is with streaming as it is
with download, I'd rather boost the quality of the streamed file a bit.

Any thoughts or experiences more than welcome.

My experience is that even with a "broadband" connection (which in practice
is a highly variable bandwidth) streamed audio greater than 32KB/s of more than
a minute or so will not come through uninterrupted by rebuffering.  Audio at
less than 32 contains artifacts that are annoying (to me at least).

I don't understand the reason for using streaming unless it is for a live
feed or to make it difficult for the user to retain a copy. I.E. will play a file
while downloading it to the temporary Internet file, so the user doesn't see
the difference unless there is a buffering problem.

Mike Csontos