ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Dating 78 record sleeves

Tom <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:33:55 -0800

Is there any reference publication of printed 78-rpm record sleeves with the
dates of when various sleeves were used? The ones that were originally sold
with the record.

As part of the digitizing of the Arhoolie Foundation's Strachwitz Collection
of Mexican and Mexican American Recordings we are scanning the original
Spanish Language 78 sleeves. Many of the major labels and many Indies
printed their sleeves in Spanish. Columbia, for instance, had several
versions in Spanish and we'd like to know the dates these where used.  Is
there a "The Big 78-rpm Record Sleeve Pictography" book?

Has anyone ever dated 78 record sleeves? (ha!, ha!)  Can anyone help?

Tom Diamant
Arhoolie Foundation
10341 San Pablo Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530