ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: FW: [AMIA-L] New Gold CD-R: "World's Most Reliable CD-R"

George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:58:46 +0100

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello, I have looked at the Delkin claim that the product has "20 cents of
24k gold in every disc".

The present cost of gold is USD430/troy ounce (ca. 31 gram). Gold has the
density 19.3 g/cubic cm. A CD has a diameter of 120 mm. Using the precise
values and simple arithmetics (but reserving the right to have
miscalculated!), I have determined the thickness of the gold layer to be 66
nanometer, corresponding to 660 angstrom. Extrapolating information from a
book from 1955 a deposited film of that thickness in gold could well have a
reflectivity of 60% - however a lot has happened since then, and more precise
figures may be available. However, there the sources dry out - I have no idea
how this compares to other types of disc, except that tarnishing of gold is
unlikely.

However, I have also read the "White paper", and I find that it could
possibly be better written by a college student.

Kind regards,

George