ARSCLIST  November 2004

ARSCLIST November 2004

Re: Copyright Alert

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:59:04 -0800

At 07:43 AM 11/29/2004 -0600, Karl Miller wrote:

>When I can step back from my frustration and try and get some
>perspective...it fascinates me how things have changed when orchestras
>would make money with recordings contracts and broadcasts. It was a
>different time...when not all of the standard literature had been
>recorded. On the other hand, many of those orchestra players will donate
>their time for a recording of chamber music, just so they can do the
>literature they like and showcase their talents on an individual level.

For better and for worse, unions have a good deal of say in such matters.
Note, too, that the cost of creating one's own label for release of a
limited number of titles, each in an edition or relatively small size is
today quite practical. Thanks to the Internet and search engines, there is
an outlet for legal, quasi-legal and blatantly illegal material to be sold,
though any thought of vast wealth deriving from such effort is a pipe dream.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/