Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  February 2005

ARSCLIST February 2005

Re: Audio storage on external hard drives

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:38:50 -0800

At 02:32 PM 2/23/2005 -0600, Scott Phillips wrote:
>..anyone consider what would happen to all the computers and hard disk
>controllers if an EMT pulse from a nuclear weapon when off ???

The answer to your question is: yes.

Unfortunately, while data have been collected and models have been
constructed for some decades, to the best of my knowledge all of that work
remains classified. It is not possible to generate a meaningful EMT pulse -
and the values are staggering - in an unclassified environment.

It happens that I spent some of my career working on just such matters.
Suffice it to say that the memories considered and implemented to survive
nuclear events bear little resemblance to anything you will find in a
commercial computer.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/