ARSCLIST February 2005

Re: WARNING about a new E-Bay identity theft scam...

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:51:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <[log in to unmask]>
> On 06/02/05, Mike Richter wrote:
> > At 02:30 PM 2/6/2005 -0800, RA Friedman wrote:
> >> Yes, this is getting really bad since the "phishers" are now starting
> >> to create exact facsimiles of the real sites. I got one for Paypal
> >> recently. The link takes you to a site that looks just like Paypal.
> >> It isn't. The rule of thumb is don't log into any site unless you
> >> have chosen it via the actual URL in your browser. No legitimate site
> >> will ever send you an email asking you to log-in.
> >
> > 1. Kill the HTML in all incoming e-mail. The true address is almost
> > always invisible in plaintext, hiding underneath in the HTML.
>
> Best to use an ASCII-only email program, with HTML display as a special
> function (hardly ever needed).
>

> > 2. Never click a link in an e-mail; copy and paste so you go to the
> > site which appears to the eye.
> >
> > 3. Do not trust appearances. ebay.com is an eBay domain;
> > ebaymembers.com may or may not be.
> >
> > 90+% of my HTML e-mail is spam or phishing. 90+% of my plaintext
> > e-mail is legitimate. I've never received a plaintext phishing
> > attempt.
>
> I have my filters set to reject any mail which has only an HTML section
> and no ASCII. They go to a folder which I check occasionally. False
> positives have been 3 or 4 over a year, among thousands of Spam mails.
Easiest approach is to see where your replies are actually going!
Place your mouse cursor over the link, or read the actual source code
of the message looking for "HREF" or "Mailto" entries. In every case,
you'll see a phony name or TCP/IP followed by "...PayPal (or whatever).
You might try filling out their form and inserting the information
connecting them to the FBI...
...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/