Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  February 2005

ARSCLIST February 2005

Re: Audio storage on external hard drives

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:53:11 EST

In a message dated 2/23/2005 11:47:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Anyone have experience firing up a computer after a 15 year period of
Inactivity?

Steve Smolian
**********

Just as with tape, magnetic disc manufacturing has evolved considerably in
the last fifteen years.

About five years ago a friend gave me a ten year old IBM PS2 computer which
he had never used. I tried it and it would boot up but found many HD read
errors. I reformatted the drive. About half the disc space was marked unusable but
I was able to use the rest.

A couple of months I fired it up again. It would not boot from the HD. I
haven't tried another reformat yet, though I intend to since it is the only
working machine I have which will read some IBM BASIC binary files that I would like
to retrieve (after they are transferred from 5-1/2 floppies that it won't
read).

However this is all "ancient" computer technology, in the same category that
all we are using today will be 20 years from now.

Mike Csontos