ARSCLIST  February 2005

ARSCLIST February 2005

Re: analyzing room acoustics to identify recording venues

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:05:03 -0500

Well, there is a valid argument here, I believe, for the creation of a
central electronic library of the room sounds of various locations often
used for recordings. Theoretically you may even be able to reconstruct the
ambience of a hall that has been demolished if you could gain access to the
floor plans. Naturally you would have to figure in an algorhythm for what
the room would sound like filled up versus empty.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide
1168 Oak Valley Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

"Tallis is dead, and music dies." - William Byrd, 1585