MODS March 2005

Re: MODS and FRBR

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:59:29 -0800

David,

What I'm reading into your request is a way to create a MODS record for
the FRBR'd work -- that is, a record with one work and many
manifestations, or a way to "cluster" records for the manifestations.
 From what I understand of what OCLC did and how VTLS does its
FRBR-izing (now THAT's about the ugliest verb in our language!), there
is no "FRBR" record, but there is a FRBR database design. I speculated
on creating a FRBR record in my article in Library Hi Tech
(http://www.kcoyle.net/functional.pdf), but so far FRBR has been an
action taken on standard MARC records without changing those records.
There are logical reasons for having the work/manifestation connection
take place someone other than within the record itself, mainly having to
do with the relative ease of exchanging manifestation-level records as
compared to a composite record with multiple manifestations.

As Barbara Tillett said, some thought has gone into the role of the
authority record as the work-level link that could be used to bring
together records for manifestations, and this approach looks quite
promising. That requires that the link to the authority record be
included in those manifestation records, and at the moment the only
"link" between MARC bibliographic and authority records is that they
contain matching text in the key fields. Some database designs create an
internal link between the headings and the authority records, but the
MARC record design doesn't include that. You could do this in MARCXML or
MODS with an XML link, however. If you experiment in this direction,
please send us your progress reports!

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net