ARSCLIST  June 2005

ARSCLIST June 2005

Re: AV to DV - PC or Mac?

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:27:14 -0700

At 03:25 PM 6/18/2005 -0500, Scott Phillips wrote an excellent post and a
list of matters to be addressed - to which I add a precursor;

0. Define the work to be done by the system(s). Enumerate the jobs which
prompt you to buy/build/learn a system. Allocate those jobs in time and
space: now/immediate future/ultimately desirable; upgrade in place/add
components/replace the platform.

Forgive me if that sounds too simple to mention, but I know people who have
fallen into the trap of buying a system for non-linear editing because they
thought they might want it eventually - and all they needed today was word
processing and surfing the Internet. Of course, there was also the one who
was frustrated trying to run a high-end audio editor on a PII with 128 MB
of RAM and a single, correspondingly small and slow hard drive.

Once you know what you want to do, Scott's list is a fine one:

>1.) Pick the software you want / need to run FIRST, before committing to
>anything else.
>
>2.) Which (or both?) platform will run everything you need to run ON AN
>INDIVIDUAL WORKSTATION ?

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/