I actually only intended to send the thing out to one person, not the whole
list. Sorry about that.
At 04:01 PM 7/5/2005, Adam Schiff wrote:
>I agree with Gary's proposal except for the last paragraph of it.
>Instead, I would rather see the birth date given in a newly establishe
>heading any time it is known. This would obviate the need to have to
>change that heading later when it comes into conflict with another
My tiny point may have been lost in the two separate messages: If we add
birth dates to every personal name heading for which dates are available
then we eventually have to change 100% of the headings that have open
dates; but if we only add birth dates to the 25% (or so) of personal name
headings that actually need them then that we'll later have to change that
25% but many of the remaining 75% will never come into conflict and will
never have to be changed.
Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
Northwestern University, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300
e-mail: [log in to unmask] voice: 847/491-2788 fax: 847/491-8306
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.