ARSCLIST September 2005

Re: Reducing soundcard/circuit noise

Rod Stephens <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:25:30 -0700

Hi Diederick,

I've installed many sound cards on various computers in the past, and
the one I had the most problems with back six year ago was a Terratec,
but that doesn't mean that they (the German company) haven't improved
their products. According to what I've found on the web, it looks to be
a fairly higher end product with an external I/O box which should
isolate it from internal computer generated artifacts. I'd check to
make sure the card is seated properly as well as the connecting cables.
Disconnect any external input/output cables from the box first to see if
they might be the problem and gradually add them back if that seems to
be where the "buzz" is coming from (very likely). Most of the problems
I've encountered have come from multiple external devices (tape decks,
VCRs, etc.) that do not have a common ground. Those all should have a
common grounding wire to each.

Of course, as others have mentioned, you should find out what is the
frequency (approximate) of the hum or buzz. Can you tell us if it is a
very low hum (60 Hz is most common) or a buzz like a shaver which is
usually more obvious to the ear? The low frequency (60 Hz) is common
with a ground loop; it's easiest to identify. I've never had any
problem from my CRT monitors unless I put some external device like a
turntable near it. As a matter of fact, the turntable that I use to
transfer transcriptions I DID have to move farther away (45 ft.) when I
first set up this studio five years ago. It is more sensitive, since
the pickup arm is an open reproducer (like a mike) and much more
sensitive than enclosed devices to both audio and radio wave frequencies.

Is your card under warrantee? If so, you might try to return it for
another one; yours may be defective. Also, you might see if you can
return it for credit if none of the above solve your problem and
purchase something else.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions