ARSCLIST  September 2005

ARSCLIST September 2005

Re: 1953 Coronation, formerly Reel-to-reel tape

"Copeland, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:58:24 +0100

Dear All,
    David Lennick is right. The Coronation was on 2nd June 1953, and EMI
(who made the set of three LPs in Britain) changed their equalisation
methods on or about 17th July 1953. (This latter fact was obtained from
the British Library's microfilms of EMI's "Recording-sheets" -
contemporary vocabulary for documenting the Cutting Of Master Discs).
Therefore one would expect the initial sales to be made to the old
standard, and later remasterings to what was later called "RIAA". I am
still researching this matter, and may be able to say something definite
in a week or two; but I have stumbled upon an unexpected fact.
    The BBC would normally have done an important broadcast in duplicate
- two sets of mikes, two mixers (capable of working off batteries as
well as mains), two landlines, etc. And I find some LPs don't match
others. I would guess that the two separate broadcasts went along two
landlines as far as EMI's Abbey Road studios; but contemporary BBC
documentation does not mention this possibility. In fact, the 1955 BBC
Yearbook says that only one person was responsible for the mix. That may
have been true for the broadcast as transmitted; but it cannot have been
true for the backup, which must have had another mixing engineer.
    However, it does seem that some EMI LPs are different from others. I
have a CEDAR azimuth corrector, and with a good deal of luck I might be
able to get something approaching stereo from parts of the Coronation
service.
Peter Copeland
Former Technical Manager
British Library Sound Archive