ARSCLIST  September 2005

ARSCLIST September 2005

Re: CF or microdrive?

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 06:48:29 -0400

I'm with Richard on Microdrives and on backing up digi-photos. I have two
good friends who are newspaper photogs and they were very early adopters of
digi-photos (one works for Gannett Rochester, so they used the very first
super-heavy Kodak/Nikon cameras and have been digital since then). Both of
their employers experimented with microdrives and did not replace them as
they died off due to reliability problems. Those things are a neato idea
(and indeed my little portable Seagate dongle-drive uses a 2gig microdrive
inside and has performed flawlessly for 2 years now) but they're not tough
enough for cameras (or, probably, portable recorders) in the field.

This past summer, my wife and I went mountain climbing and this was our
first "no safety net -- no film" outing. Digicams for both of us. Her with
an Olympus snappy-type and me with my Nikon D70. I brought along my laptop
and our strategy was to transfer from camera to laptop every day and burn a
CDR for backup at that time. I carry 2gigs total of flash storage (4x512meg
cards), so I needed to recycle each day anyway. And yes, it's less than
ideal to lug a 10-pound Nikon rig up and down mountains, but the picture
results are so worth the extra weight.

One of the things that intrigues me about the M-Audio and Marantz flash
recorders is that they're small enough to carry along with a camera and can
share the same memory cards.

I think the world is moving toward solid-state memory for
anything/everything portable. There was a big article in Time or Newsweek
last week about how Apple went through a next-stage R&D evolution with the
iPod to move away from the hard drives, and killed off their best-selling
Mini line to move to that new solid-state with display model. Most kids I
know (nieces, nephews and my wife's students) who had first generation iPods
no longer have them in use because the hard drives died under field
conditions. I think the Minis are even more troublesome, which is why Apple
killed them. I know how rough I am on portable players (having killed a
couple of CD players and cassette players in my time), so I waited for the
iPod Shuffle before joining the fad. For what's worth, that Shuffle has a
much better audio-out section than the hard drive pods. For what it's worth,
one of my brothers has killed two 20gig iPod drives just from the vibrations
of using them in a car commuting between NJ and NYC (both were replaced
under warranty, but he's done with moving parts in portable players after
that).

-- Tom Fine