I am forwarding this on behalf of Lou Mallozzi.
Tom S. Caw
UWM Music Library
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI 53211
<[log in to unmask]>
Position open immediately:
Creative Audio Archive Manager at Experimental Sound Studio.
Experimental Sound Studio (ESS) is searching for someone to manage the
Creative Audio Archive (CAA).
ESS is a nonprofit organization founded in 1986 for the promotion,
production, presentation, and preservation of innovative and diverse
approaches to the sonic arts. CAA is a recently begun program of ESS --
a repository for collections of audio and related materials pertaining
to the history of exploratory sonic arts. It currently consists of
1. approximately 250 recordings of performances, installations,
workshops, artists' projects, and other materials from the 19-year
history of ESS programs;
2. recordings of 135 performances from the Links Hall Performance Series
1987 - 1990;
3. approximately 600 rehearsal, recitation, and performance recordings
by composer and bandleader Sun Ra.
CAA is conceived of as a living archive and not as a passive storage
facility. Thus, in addition to duplication and preservation of
recordings, CAA also provides an on-line searchable catalog of its
holdings, and develops public programs for the interpretation and
interrogation of its holdings.
The CAA Manager position is part-time, approximately 32 hours per month
(i.e.: one day per week), paying $500 per month. It is a one-year
appointment, and it is renewable, pending funding availability. Start
date is October 1, 2005. The position requires:
1. some familiarity with archive or library procedures, especially as
they pertain to audio and media materials;
2. some familiarity with Encoded Archival Description (EAD);
3. a commitment to contemporary and exploratory music and art forms;
4. excellent organizational skills.
The CAA Manager works closely with the ESS Executive Director, but must
be capable of continued self-regulated work, research, management, and
The CAA Manager, in addition to ongoing organization of CAA, will be
responsible for the following CAA projects during the next 12 months:
1. Working with two producers on the production of two hour-long radio
programs on exploratory sonic arts based on CAA holdings, to be produced
by the end of October 2005;
2. Working with two data base and internet consultants on the
implementation of an on-line catalog of CAA holdings conforming to the
EAD standard (fall 2005 - spring 2006);
3. Coordinating continued duplication and cataloging of CAA holdings,
and on-line catalog updates, with ESS staff and volunteers (ongoing);
4. Moving and organizing the CAA holdings at the new ESS facility in
Interested applicants should send a brief resume and letter to ESS
Executive Director Lou Mallozzi at <[log in to unmask]>. Inquiries for
further information can be made to the same address. Please do not
call. Applications will be accepted through September 23, 2005.