ARSCLIST  September 2005

ARSCLIST September 2005

Re: A tape Vinegar Syndrome experience

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:44:23 -0400

Hi, Steve,

The Audio Engineering Society has some information on tape
type/manufacture - at least from 3M on their Web site and Del Eilers
(sp?) and Bill Lund ex of 3M tape are on the Ampex mailing list.

I'm wondering if perhaps Wikipedia might be the right venue for doing
this? It is a good idea.

I'm keeping all the emails and I can do a boolean search through
them, but I'm not organized enough nor motivated enough to make this
grid. I do maintain a who-can-play-it grid at
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/resources.htm but it's in need of updating.

My VS tape is safely in the computer and back in its box (but not
bag). The box is not showing signs of acid degradation. My theory is
that even an unbuffered box will absorb a fair amount of the acid.

And, yes, Eric, it is auto catalytic at some point. Worst seems to be
35mm and 16mm mag film on acetate base. Good suggestions, but I'm
just pulling the tape out of the bag and putting it back in the box.

Well, at least it cleared out my sinuses.

G'nite!

Cheers,

Richard