FLICC MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT MA2005-40
FEDLINK Fall Membership Meeting--11/9/05--9:00am - 12:00 noon
Join us at the FEDLINK Fall Membership Meeting for the introduction of FLICC/FEDLINK's new executive director, Roberta Shaffer, and a special presentation by Thom Hickey, Chief Scientist, OCLC Research on "The Future of the Library Catalog: Open, Interactive and Participatory."
Designed to answer questions on how OCLC Research is testing new uses of data, new user interfaces, open standards and open source software to create new models for access to information in libraries through the Web, Thom will address frontline questions such as
* What will replace current library catalogs?
* How can libraries better influence searching in the open web environment?
* How can we leverage decades of bibliographic control in libraries and at OCLC to create the open, interactive environment future researchers will expect?
Hickey will then explain two OCLC projects, Curiouser and WikiD, and related projects that explore
* exploiting structured data of bibliographic, authority and holdings records
* using other available data, e.g., pathfinders and third-party Web services
* creating and maintaining structured data in an open, interactive environment.
Following the special presentation, FEDLINK managers and FLICC Working Group representatives will provide program updates.
Wednesday, November 9, 2005
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. There is no entry to the Library of Congress prior to 8:30 a.m.
West Dining Room, 6th floor, Madison Building, The Library of Congress
Use the Main Entrance at 1st and Independence Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C.
Capitol South (Orange and Blue Lines)
FEDLINK Network Operations
Free--Open to all FEDLINK members but advance registration is required.
Visit the FLICC Educational Programs Web site at http://www.loc.gov/flicc/feveform.html to register online or call the FLICC office at (202) 707-4800.
Request ADA Accommodations five business days in advance--email [log in to unmask] or call (202) 707-6362.
Call FLICC (202) 707-4800; TTY (202) 707-4995
Please notify FLICC (202) 707-4800 if you cannot attend so those on the waiting list have an opportunity to register.