Machines and Accessories No.05-04
Date: September 2, 2005
Subject: C-1 line cord change
This bulletin supercedes Machines and Accessories Report 02-10. Please remove
02-10 from your records or clearly mark it "Superceded by M & A Report 05-04".
All C-1 cassette book machines beginning with serial number 1,002,445 are being
manufactured with a new type of line cord. The new line cord is required to comply
with a revision to the Underwriters Laboratories, Inc., Standard for Safety, UL 1492,
requiring heavier insulation on the cord, resulting in an increase in cord thickness.
The change affects C1 components as follows:
1. The length of the cord is reduced from 8 feet to 6 feet to accommodate the
-- The new-type cord part number is 57812-004.
-- The old-type cord (PN 57812-001) is discontinued.
2. The cord strain relief is a larger diameter.
-- The new-type strain relief part number is 50489-029.
-- The old-type strain relief (PN 50489-017) is discontinued.
3. The cord storage wall has a larger-diameter strain-relief mounting hole.
-- The new-type cord storage wall part number is 40511-010.
-- The old-type cord storage wall (PN 40511-009) is discontinued.
4. The connector splice (PN 52390-002) is not affected.
5. The plug end of the new-type cord does not change: it remains two-
While NLS no longer supplies the old style cords, existing supplies in the field can be
used until exhausted.
When a machine with the old-type cord requires servicing of any of the three affected
parts (cord, cord wall, or strain relief), all three components must be retrofitted to the
new-type cord. The replacement procedure for the new-type cords is identical to the
one for the old-style. Retrofitting is simpler: all three pieces are replaced as a unit.
See C1 Service Manual, page 21, Figure 19. None of the affected components that
are replaced need to be returned to NLS.
Do __not,__ under any circumstances, mix parts between the old type and the new
type. __They are not compatible and doing so will create a safety hazard.__
Some points for service technicians to note in regard to this change:
1. These part changes are not reflected in the new C-1 Service Manual
(Rev. A, 4/9/2002). Please mark your service manual immediately for
2. The new-type strain relief was previously issued as PN 50489-028. This part
was changed to enhance fit and does not need to be replaced in service or in
3. All old-type cords do not need to be replaced at this time. Retrofit machines
with new-type cords when old-type cords need repair.
For further information contact:
Equipment Repair Officer