ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: Copyright of treasures

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:02:09 -0700

Karl Miller wrote:

> As for the soloist who didn't want their performance recorded...what a
> tragic loss it is that Rachmaninoff did not allow his performances
> broadcast. I still have this fantasy that some engineer made a copy on
> their own and that one day it will turn up in some estate sale.

It happened in later years, at least. I have recordings from the
broadcast booth at Symphony Hall on nights the BSO was not broadcast.

One footnote (though to an earlier post on this thread). Marilyn Horne's
second autobiography includes a CD of her performances. It is of pirate
recordings by choice and of necessity given the cost of 'legal' ones.

If reason had anything to do with the music business, one would expect
the publisher of a recording to pay the performer to include an excerpt
on such a disc; it can only increase sales. However, logic does not apply.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/