ARSCLIST October 2005

A tale of a recording

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:54:19 -0700

I suspect that the following narration may be longer and more convoluted
than some will care for - and I warn you that the dog is shaggy, there
is no conclusion. But for those who may be interested, here is a tale of
the history of one performance of Verdi's La Traviata. It is derived
from what I have been told and what little I can find in print.

The date was 27 March 1958; the venue was San Carlos Opera House,
Lisbon. The three principal solo roles (of ten cited soloists in all)
are for soprano (Maria Callas), tenor (Alfredo Kraus) and baritone
(Mario Sereni). In addition, there were the orchestra under Franco
Ghione, the chorus, the chorus masters, and supernumeraries. Portugese
National Radio broadcast the performance and, as a courtesy, gave a tape
of the broadcast to the tenor.

Kraus felt that this was an exceptional night in the theater and that
the recording captured much of its glory. He gave his tape to one of the
more notorious (!) New York 'pirates', Ed Rosen who now does business as
Premiere Opera. Ed agreed and made the recording available in his
catalogue. In the way of such things, dubs of dubs of dubs made their
way into the catalogues of other pirates and of personal collections.

In 1980, Capitol Records issued an LP set clearly remastered from a
late-generation copy of the original tape with a fresh copyright. It may
be that rights were cleared with the Callas estate, with Kraus and
perhaps with Portugese radio, but no further. Still, it was EMI and the
LPs and later the CDs have been on the shelf ever since. (If Portugese
radio had been involved in the reissue, one believes they would have
checked their own master rather than using the poor copy; hence, my
doubt that they cleared the release.)

A few years ago, Portugese radio discovered that their master tapes of
the performance sounded far better than the EMI remastering from the
dub. They issued a limited edition - 2000 copies - as 'gifts' to
contributors to the opera company. A friend of the company sent a copy
to me, asking that I make it freely available so that the pirates not
have an incentive to exploit it.

As it happens, the equalization of the reissue was wrong in the sense
that it did not fairly represent the sound of the singers I knew from
live performance, notably Callas and Kraus. It was clear that that was
an attempt to restore the balance between pit and stage, but the price
was higher than I could condone. I re-equalized the recording and posted
it complete and as selections at my WWW sites and included it on a
CD-ROM. I made only one CD-DA copy and sent that to friends (who
confirmed my judgement on equalization); they passed a copy on to a
titled collector who made a copy for a noted audio engineer. That
engineer added track breaks and the recording is now published by a
substantial label in the opera world (Pearl).

There is reason to believe that only the rights of the Callas estate,
Alfredo Kraus (since passed on), and possibly Portugese National Radio
have been considered at any stage in this process. In probable violation
of copyright (again!) I have images showing the difference in
compression between the EMI LP release and the files I posted at
   http://www.mindspring.com/~mrichter/emiaudio/emiaudio.htm

In all of this, credits and clearances have been few and are seldom
acknowledged. In my judgement, that's fine; the most important point is
that an exceptional performance is available to all. Some of those
involved in the history may have profited financially (I did not, but
that is my choice), but recent and future generations will not have lost
this bit of their heritage.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/