ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: old acetate tapes - curling/tape tension remedies?

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:07:55 -0400

Tom Fine wrote:

> Hi Dave/Richard:
>
> Less strenuous is to see about playing a full-track tape with a 2-track
> machine and seeing if one track is usable. My experience -- and I think
> Richard mentioned this to me once as a perfectly legit method -- is that
> warped/crinkled full-track tapes will not track the gap on a full-track head
> but will sometimes on one of the two tracks.

An amendment..try a quarter-track machine. The "right channel" will probably
give the best reproduction since it's closer to the center of the tape and away
from the wavy edges.

dl