ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: 78's and PD, was Curatorial Responsibility, formerly Copyright of treasures

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Oct 2005 18:09:01 -0400

"Prentice, Will" wrote:

> Mike Richter wrote:
>
> "in Europe if
> one takes a recording of a PD work from a recent LP or a current CD, it
> is still PD"
>
> Maybe 9 months ago or so I was told by someone who's job it is to know,
> that this was a widely acknowledged grey area in EU law. Up to that
> point at least, this assumption had never been tested in a court of law.
> Some assume such a recording is PD, others that it's copyright of the
> re-issuer.
>
> Will

Having heard my transfers turn up on issues from Britain, Germany and Israel (where they manufacture those Prism Leisure ripoffs), about all I can do is fuss and fume, since this obviously isn't worth anyone's time (including the companies for whom I did the original transfers). Reissue compilations barely pay their way
as it is. I can understand the original recording remaining PD, but not a new restoration.

dl