ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: Storing Mini-Discs

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:59:01 -0400

At 04:34 PM 10/13/2005, you wrote:
>I have a substantial number of mini-discs (original recordings of
>oral history interviews) and am trying to figure out the best way to
>store them. I can't seem to find any appropriately sized archival
>boxes and am hesitant (for a number of reasons) to simply use
>plastic containers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Digitally transfer them to two CD-Rs and store the CD-Rs. Or better
yet, if you have a managed digital archive that can accept them,
store them in that.

I don't think many of us think that MDs are archival. I wouldn't
worry about an archival box for a medium that probably isn't
archival. I don't think we can expect the long-term availability of
MD players as compared to CD players.

Good luck!

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              [log in to unmask]
Aurora, Ontario, Canada             http://www.richardhess.com/