ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Oct 2005 06:03:16 -0400

Hi Richard:

Yes, I think all DVD's start out with 2 layers but the dual-4.7 gig discs
(which now hold as much as a commercial DVD and thus a 1:1 copy can be made
using various pirateware programs) have a second layer of burnable material,
as I understand it, and perhaps a clear plastic film separation layer (?).

I, too, send out a lot of DVD+/-R discs and do also strongly suggest many
copies be made, including on different media.

We may be chasing a phantom menace here but like I said I haven't seen any
data comparable to the NASA and NIST tests on CDR media.

-- Tom Fine