ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: Digitization

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:32:30 -0700

Ishumael Zinyengere wrote:
> Dear Colleagues
>
> How does one:
>
> 1. Transfer music from microgroove records to compact
> disc
> 2. What type of equipment (hardware and software) is
> needed
> 3. Is it a good choice to transfer music for archival
> purposes or only as an access copy to reseachers
> 4. Where can one in Africa get the equipment at a
> reasonable prize
> 5. How do you preserve the Compact Discs if you
> transfer
> 6. What are the temperatures for keeping the Compact
> Discs.
>
> With Regards
>

> Ishumael Zinyengere

Permit me a response from one who is not an archivist or a librarian -
certainly not a professional one. The key question here is the purpose
of the transfer. That is, there are those seeking digital records

a. In order to retire the source recording. They need high sample rates
and great bit depth, hence more than conventional CD audio (CD-DA)
recording will provide.

b. As a research alternative to the source. They need convenience and
durability but usually within CD-DA limits.

c. For public access. They need economy and denoised sound.

It is also wise to assess how best to use limited funds. If you are
dealing with only a few "78-rpm" discs, a preamp with selectable
turnover and rolloff may be an unwise expense. Select cartridges and
styli based on your needs; how many and with what virtues. If you want
both MC and MM cartridges, be certain your preamp(s) can handle them -
and consider whether the gain in MC on the best discs is worth its cost.

Do not forget to project duplication requirements. If you expect never
to make a copy of such a CD, then a standalone recorder is a fine
choice. If you anticipate running a duplicator to make multiple copies
(say, 10-30) of each master, the standalone will go well with it.
However, if you are looking at a modest number of copies - perhaps two
for the archive and two for lending - then multiple recorders in a
computer will be both economical and practical.

As for storing, handling and preserving the CDs, again that depends on
your application. For broad access, I recommend taking little effort at
preserving the physical discs and expecting to make additional copies as
the old ones are lost or damaged. You have received advice on storing
archival copies.

Unfortunately, information on accessibility for you will be hard to come
by; that is one area you may need to research for yourself. And again
some specificity is needed: support which may be readily available in
Cairo or Johannesburg may be harder to obtain in Mpulungu. Africa is a
large continent and your ISP does not help us locate you there.

Please note that the above considerations may be seen as in another
dimension from the points made by others. I do not mean to disagree with
anything others have contributed.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/